We all know that a student visa and meeting the eligibility criteria are needed to enter Australian universities. They are the two significant factors responsible for achieving the dream of international students to study in desired universities in Australia.
Australia is one of the most popular destinations for international students globally because of the spectacular education facilities provided. Australia is included in the names of many top universities famed among overseas students.
Now, let’s move toward knowing a lot about obtaining a student visa Australia and how to request it. Before continuing, you must certify that you are familiar with how the Australian grading system works.
Necessities To Obtain Student Visa In Australia
- Student visa applicants should have proof of their enrollment (Certificate of registration) in an Australian university’s associated full-time study course for requesting an Australian student visa.
- Students need to know exactly how, and wherever to request an Australian student visa.
- The student should fill out the Australian student visa application type (157 A).
- Student visa applicants should submit visa application fees of around USD 420.
- Australian student visa applicants are mandated to submit a replica of the biodata page with a valid passport.
- Student visa applicants are asked to provide their actual temporary entrant, also termed a genuine temporary entrant (GTE) statement, as per the direction, which is a compulsion to request an Australian student visa.
- The foremost vital for visa applicants is to possess a decent character as needed for an Australian student visa for the international student (that is, you don’t have a criminal record and don’t seem to be connected to any contraband activity).
- When students request an Australian student visa, they may have to submit proof of their financial strength to pay tuition fees, living prices, return transportation, etc.
- Visa applicants must have proof of health checkups and insurance as demanded.
- For requesting an Australian student visa, visa applicants must have proof of their English Proficiency(like IELTS, take a look at scores required to request a student visa in Australia).
- Academic and work expertise document.
- Four recent passport-sized images.
Procedure For Requesting A Student Visa In Australia
- Before requesting a student visa in Australia, visa applicants should initially be compelled to guarantee their eligibility in the course and the particular University in Australia they would like to pursue.
- After clarification that visa applicants are enriched with all eligibility requirements for entrance, apply for the particular university and wait until you receive a letter of acceptance from the university.
- Now, later student visa applicants get a Certificate of Registration of the particular university in their hand consequently supported their course period and as per their demand, decide which kind of a student visa Australia they would require to wish for to maneuver a pace nearer toward your dream university. If visa applicants decide to learn language courses, they need a tourist visa. The language courses work for only a couple of months, that’s why. However, if they wish to pursue courses for an extended period, they must request a particular student visa in Australia. They’re required to fill out the student visa Australia application for this.
Student Visa Application In Australia
There are mainly three types of Student visa Australia facilities provided to overseas students by Australia:
Student Visa (Subclass 500)
This student visa is valid for five years with inline enrollment in your specific course holding Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It costs a minimum of AUD630, applicable for you if you are six years old or more. It also allows you to bring one of your family members with you and provides unlimited working hours in any sector if you meet the eligible age requirements and want to work.
2. Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590 )
This is a temporary visa for the Guardian of a student visa holder under 18 years of age who has enough money to maintain living costs during their stay in Australia. It costs around AUD630. It’s valid for the same time limit as the student visa holder. To hold this visa, the Guardian must be 21 or older. Talking about processing time, it may vary from 21days to 6 months.
3. Training Visa (Subclass 407 )
This visa is for a temporary stay for training purposes to add more skills and professionalism to your current occupation for two years. Still, there is a compulsion that you may be invited or nominated for the training. It cost a minimum range of AUD315. Talking about processing time well may vary from 27days to 7 months.
- Well, as a student, most probably, you need to fill out the Australian student visa form (157 A) and submit visa application fees of around USD 420 under a Student visa (subclass 500) to get your student visa for Australia, but this will be possible when you can prove that you meet a possible essential requirement to have an Australian student visa to the Department of Home Affairs:
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Requirements :
GTE asks the applicant to provide genuine proof for their temporary stay in Australia to study or accompany a student as a guardian to the Department of Home Affairs. For this Department of Home Affairs has a check on the following points first to move further with student visa Australia :
- The situation in your country.
- Your immigration history.
- Your capability to deal with circumstances in Australia
- Your concern & plan toward the chosen course.
After standing clear on the above points, sometimes you may ask to appear for an interview or else be allowed to fill out the visa application form.
When filling out the visa application form, you may be asked to show- valid proof that you have sufficient funds to cover expenses ( like visa application fees, course fees, living costs, air tickets, and others) of yours and the person accompanying you as a guardian or spouse at least for a year as per student visa Australia requirements.
English Proficiency Requirements
You may have to provide evidence that you know the English language of the level needed to pursue your desired course and stay in Australia if you are from a non-English speaking country and have not completed five years of study from an English-speaking country. Various eligibility tests whose specific test scores check your level of English language skills in concern with student visa Australia are :
IELTS is an English language test for study, migration, or work for international students or people of non-native English speaking countries to prove that they are applicable to have a student visa in Australia or visa to countries other than Australia where IELTS scores are valid like Canada, United States, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and others.
IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System, is a Language proficiency test for non-native English speakers started in 1980 for test writing, speaking, listening, and reading skills. IELTS is offered up to 4 times a month, and its grade scores range from 0 to 9, in 0.5 band increments, with scores validity for two years. This language test costs around 250 USD, and its duration is around 3 hours.
TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language, which is a language proficiency test for non-native English speakers started in 1964, mainly of two types: TOEFL IBT, which is an internet-based test, and TOEFL PBT, which is a paper-based test. Both tests are used for testing writing, speaking, listening, and reading skills. This language test costs around 185 USD, and its duration is around 3:30 hours for TOEFL IBT.
TOEFL IBT is offered up to 50 times a year and once in any three days, and its grade scores range from 0 to 120 (in 1-point increments), in all four sections, with scores validity for two years.
In simple words, TOEFL is an English language test for international students or students of non-native English-speaking countries to enroll in English-speaking universities and prove that they are applicable to have a student visa in Australia or visa to countries other than Australia where IELTS scores are valid.
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)
The Pearson Test of English Academic is the first entirely computer-based English Language proficiency test for non-native English speakers for migration or study for testing writing, speaking, listening, and reading skills valid worldwide. PTE Academic is completely proctored using AI technology which provides fast and fair results without any human interference results within 48 hours of taking the test and scheduled in advance up to 24 hours before the exam. PTE Academic is offered once in 5 days, and its grade scores range from 10 to 90 ( in 1 point increments).
In simple words, PTE Academic is an English language test to prove that they are applicable to have a student visa in Australia or visa to countries other than Australia where PTE Academic scores are valid like Canada, the United States, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and others for study or migration.
Cambridge Advanced English (CAE)
Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) is a language proficiency test for non-native English speakers for testing writing, speaking, listening, and reading skills. CAE is offered once a month, and its grade scores range from 0 to 100, 20 in each of the 5 sections, but the result is provided only if you score 45 or above on the test.
Basically, in simple words, CAE is an English language test for study, for international students or people of non-native English-speaking countries to prove that they are applicable to have a student visa in Australia or visa to countries other than Australia where CAE scores are valid like Canada, United States, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and others.
Well, the score you need depends on which university you are applying for and the desired course because some universities have their specific requirements regarding English test scores, including duration; of course, that is either you are choosing an entire degree course or a foundation course or else English language course for overseas students such as English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).
Every international student that is applying online for Australian universities is required to possess Overseas Student Health Cover insurance provided by the universities or might have it directly from the approved providers.
Most student visa applicants are asked to possess Overseas Student Health Cover insurance as a fragment of their student visa Australia requirement.
The cost provided by the insurance cover differs due to different suppliers and course periods.
As the demand for student visa Australia to enter Australia, you would like to supply proof that you possess an honest and decent character which incorporates that you don’t possess a criminal record in any country. You are ordered to give a clearance certificate approved by the police and fill out Character Statutory Declaration Form providing self-declaration concerning your decent character including your approval to accept the 10-year imprisonment with a fine if just in case you ( the student visa candidate) were found to be convicted.
After gathering and arranging all required documents as mentioned previously, bear in mind to ascertain the list of documents needed on The Department of Home Affairs website to avoid little mistakes and generate an account with the Immi Account application System and apply securely.
Refining Process of Student Visa In Australia
Usually, visa candidates get a decision for their student visa around seven to fourteen days afterward the student visa applicant completes their visa application. It depends on the immigration authority’s schedule and wherever visa applicants apply for a visa.
Visa candidates are enlightened concerning their visa approval via mail. However, you can additionally check your visa standing online from your specific Immi Account.
Student Visa In Australia Validity
Student Visa Australia permits students to enter Australia 90 days before their course starting date, as mentioned in their Certificate of Enrollment (COE). Student visas allow students to stay in Australia for one month prior if the chosen course duration is about ten months and can stay for two months if their course duration is more than ten months. All data information when your visa expires is mentioned on your approved key. Do check it out.
A student visa has a condition that requires the holder to inform about their address during their stay in Australia within seven days after arrival in the country. They’re asked to tell about their new residing address within seven days if they decide to move to another place.
Granted Working Hours As Per Student Visa In Australia
Student Visa Australia already provides permission to work 40 hours a fortnight during the term and full-time during holidays. If you are pursuing a master’s or PhD, you should remember that these 40 hours do not include any of your research or course-related works.
It is mentioned in student visa Australia that students are not allowed to work until the course starts and even are not entitled to rely on work to manage their dependent expenses.
You must remain enrolled in a full-time course, attend classes regularly, and show exemplary achievements. Suppose any student does not fulfil the terms and conditions correctly, their visa will be cancelled.
Student Visa Modification
As we all know, a student visa in Australia is for International students to pursue any full-time study course in Australia. Still, if your information needs to change after the visa is approved, then in such a case, it depends on whether you are moving to the same, higher course or lower course from your previously selected course for which your visa permit is approved.
So, to move into the equal or higher course from a lower one as per the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF), you don’t need any modification in your student visa in Australia under subclass 500, but if you are moving into lower courses from a higher one as per Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) for example masters to a new bachelor’s you need to apply for a new student visa.
As we tend to all grasp, Australia is a big-budget country. Generally, it becomes difficult for international students to induce student visas in Australia. They can not manage fees for courses and expenses even after obtaining a letter of acceptance. On observing these issues, the Australian Government provides various scholarships to international students to supply funds for supporting their studies in Australia. Multiple scholarships are listed below. Check and apply for one you are eligible for:
- Global Study Awards
- CCSE Graduate Scholarship
- Golden Key Graduate Scholar Award
- Broker Fish International Student Scholarship
- Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Scholarship
Moreover, where there is a will, there is a way; hence, if you plan to study in Australia, then work hard to be eligible for it in terms of knowledge first. Then timely manage your documents accurately, apply for a student visa for Australia and Scholarship, and land at your dream university in Australia to pursue your desired course and enhance your future.