Choosing a baby’s name means being a parent. You are giving your baby a lifetime identification because this is going to be carried by your baby for his whole life. The name means everyone will know your baby from the name you give them when it is born.
If you are seriously thinking about the name of your baby, then here is an article that will tell you how to choose a baby name. First, we need to know about the different types of names.
1. Three Types Of Names
Following are the three different types of names based on gender:
- Baby boy name
- Baby girl name
- Gender neutral name
All the above-written names are gender-based, which can help you choose a name for your baby. During pregnancy, most parents think about the upcoming baby, what name should be given and all the things that will fit well for their baby.
2. Basis To Choose Baby Name
Many things can be considered as the basis for choosing a name for your baby. It can be your family background, traditions, parents’ names, etc. Let’s see these things one by one:
2.1. Family Traditions
According to this, the name is decided based on the family tradition, such as adding a prefix after the name or adding a suffix before the name. For example, Junior Tom, grandson of Junior Johnston, Thomas Addison, son of John Addison and many more.
You can also choose your name based on the names of your deceased relatives. You can also select your baby’s name to honour your ancestry. If there is no family tradition in your home, this is a good way to create a new tradition.
2.2. Religious Name
Many parents are there who choose their baby’s name according to their religion, like Christian, Jewish, Muslim, virtue, spiritual name, and many more.
2.3. Pop Culture
You can also name your baby based on pop culture, like the names of famous singers, actors, musicians, characters in movies, books and many more. Famous names of poetry and songs can also be considered for your baby’s names.
2.4. Place Names
A child’s name can be different according to the name of the place. Different countries, cities, and states have different options for names. It is also based on the trends of different places.
2.5. Ethnic Names
These names are based on cultural practices that are French culture, Russian culture, African culture, Korean culture and many more. It can be possible when one parent comes from another culture and another from another.
Usually, parents choose names according to the season in which a baby is born. For example, if a baby girl is born in the rainy season, you can name her Rain, or if a baby boy is born in the summer season, you can name him Natsuko.
You can name your little one based on colours as well. These names, like Aurelia, Coco, Amber, Grey, Marigold, and many more, can be pretty cute for your kids.
Being a nature lover, you can name your baby in the name of nature. There are many beautiful names for your kids based on nature. Such as for girls, Rose, Heena, Daisy, Lily, Olive and many more. For boys: Leo, Oliver, and Linden.
One parent may want their kids’ names based on history. For example, Allora, Charlotte, Alinta, Charlie, and Amelia.
Names based on mythology are based on the name of the god of Greek. These names can be the same name from Greek gods. For example, Apollo, Hera, Zeus, Indra, etc.
Many family members are obsessed with astrology and always insist on choosing their son or daughter’s names based on astrology. They always make sure to prioritize astrology apart from all the fashions.
Names of boys based on astrology are Luke, Helios and many more. Names of girls based on astrology are Diana, Anahita, Deva, Rhea, and Miranda.
2.12. Alphabetical List
The babies’ names can be arranged alphabetically. You can choose your baby’s name based on different alphabetical orders in this alphabet from the names of your parents, or you can say the names of family members.
Many parents prefer to select their daughters’ names based on their mother, grandmother, and aunt’s names. At the same time, some family members prefer to select their sons’ names based on male members of the family.
2.13. Combined Names
The names of a baby can be combinations of the mother’s and father’s names. This can be a hashtag for partners. For example, you can see many couples using their hashtag. If a couple is named Audrey and Melissa, Aullisa or Melrey can be used for their little one. These can be considered as one of the most beautiful and unique names.
2.14. Related to Acquaintance
Inspiration for your child’s name can be the name of your family, relatives, friends, ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend. This can be for any purpose, like remembering or respecting someone.
All the written bases to select the child’s name are mentioned above. Now you know on what basis we can choose our children’s names.
3. How Do You Choose Nicknames for a Child?
Nicknames are usually funny, or you can say a cute one apart from those formal names. These are known by close members, close relatives or your friends. The following are the bases:
- Nature: The nicknames for your children can be based on the nature of your kids. Suppose your daughter smiles always so you can call her Rosey. And if your son always stays quiet, you can call him mousse.
- Colour: Suppose your baby’s favourite colour is blue. Then you can call them Bleu, Juggy for boys, Oggy, Okko and many more. This can also be the identification of likes and dislikes of your children.
- Partners: You can also choose a name on your partner’s name. For example, the mom’s name is Annie so you can name your daughter Anna. This can also be your daughter’s nickname.
- First name: Your child’s name can be from your child’s first name. Suppose your baby’s name is Tomson Jennifer; then your nickname can be Tom.
- Middle name: A nickname can also come from a child’s middle name. Suppose your daughter’s name is Mary Elizabeth; then her nickname can be Maze or Ali.
- Family names: Nicknames can be from family names. Suppose your son’s grandfather is named Dr John; then the nickname of your son can be a junior doctor.
- Rhythmic flow: The nickname can be in a rhythmic flow. Suppose the name of your older baby is Kitty; then you can call your other children Bitty or Patty.
- Sound: There may be possible nicknames based on sounds. You can select a name based on the sound that might be witty or funny.
4. Birth Certificates And Legal Issues
Changing your name and choosing your newborn baby’s name is life’s most exciting and responsible work. A birth certificate is famous worldwide. Usually, when a child is born, filling or choosing a name occurs at a time.
There are many rules in many countries for choosing a name for a baby. A few rules exist for choosing a name in Australia, so you might be okay with anything. There are some rules for using pictures or symbols with the name. So you might follow some laws for that thing only.
Babies born in hospitals are usually given a fancy paper for mentioning the name and footprints of that baby. So that parents can select their names or make their birth certificates at a time, and this certificate will be used for all future legal and personal procedures.
5. Naming Ceremonies And Religious Consideration
Naming ceremonies are usually organized in religious places like a church, a house of worship, or it can be a house. Relatives, religious leaders, priests, friends, or other community members can attend this function. Sometimes, it might be similar to the name of birth certificates, or it might be a new name related to their rituals.
Some parents give their babies names based on their religious customs. As a parent, you can also consult religious pastors, imams, priests, or other religious leaders. But to make a new ritual, you can also change your mind about such limited things and try new things when choosing a name. You have many names, such as a beautiful and perfect baby name.
Usually, older family members prefer very traditional names as perfect baby names. If parents or partners do not want such formal or full names, you can also try these things in first or middle names.
6. Discussing With Your Partner
During these discussions, it might be possible that you and your partner have some conflicts because you guys have different opinions about your child’s name. You have many options, but it is evident that not all the names are as perfect as your partner, as a mom or a dad would approve.
If you guys think about these things wisely, it will be fun for both of you. Inspiration for a perfect name can be anything. So, you should have a proper opinion about the name of your children.
If your partner rejects names continuously, you can go for mutual consent. Tell your partner to make a list of names you want, then go through those lists and decide on this discussion.
You might have different boy or girl names, but you can finalize your mutual consent. Suppose your partner chooses your daughter’s name as Angel, but you want this name to be Angelina. Then go for these two names as nicknames and permanent names.
You can also follow the format of the family name. Many families agree on some different things. They try to make a ritual like a mother can choose girl names, and the father can choose boy names or vice versa. Some families also allow the moms to choose the first baby’s name and the dad to choose the second baby. You can also allow your family member to choose your baby’s name.
7. Points To Be Considered While Choosing Baby Name
- Perfect initials: If you do not want to have some odd or tough initials in your baby’s name, like Mackenzie Samuels, despite this tough name, you can go for some easy pronouncing names like Maya Samuels.
- Think About Nicknames: You should choose your name to choose nicknames from that final name. It may be easy to choose both names.
- Consider Sibling Names: You can also consider sibling names. If your kid’s name is Lilly, try to choose another name, Billie, so both names sound similar.
- Easy Spelling: It is very important to ensure your kid can spell his name easily so that they can love the name.
- Try To Change Trend: Do not be afraid to change your old family trend. You can change that trend and make new rituals from here only.
- Popular Name: A parent can also choose names based on popular names. There might be some favourite names that you wish to have as your children’s names so that you can go for that.
- Add Little Difference: You can also have some diversity in your child’s name. It can also add some uniqueness to your children’s names.
- Meaning: You should be sure about the meaning of your baby’s name to make it meaningful in the future. Your children should also be aware of that meaning.
8. Key Takeaway
Expecting parents are not the only ones who are searching for baby names. Researchers are also there who try to find baby names. However, the purpose is quite different for both of them. Researchers search names for baby name data, but parents search for their kid’s identification.
Name means identification. If you do not have any name, how will people identify you? That is why you should have a name with proper meaning, however nicknames can be anything. It might be for fun as well. Right baby names mean the proper future identification of your children. No one knows what will happen if your baby’s name is famous worldwide. So try to make this positive so you can know your children in a positive way.
Check similar articles: The 5 Best Schools in Oxford For Your Kids.
Live to write. I have been writing since class 7 and I would love to continue this passion for a long time. I love to read and I think this hobby makes me write. Hope, my readers will also enjoy my pieces.